Start Untangling Your Family Tree | Endogamy & DNA Course
Endogamy on your family tree means that working with your DNA matches can be CHALLENGING!
That’s why we have created the Endogamy & DNA Course. Developed and tested by an expert DNA team, this Course teaches straightforward strategies for addressing endogamy more productively.
Now enrolling for the Endogamy & DNA Course session October 17 – November 7, 2022!
Who should take this course?
Anyone who has identified (or strongly suspects) the presence of endogamy on a family tree and wants to learn straightforward DNA strategies for starting to untangle those intermingled genetic lines.
Not sure? Try using the Leeds method to separate your autosomal DNA matches into four distinct groups (which represent the four lineages of your grandparents). If you don’t have four distinct genetic groups, you may need this Course.
What topics will be covered?
- Core Concepts: Get Ready for Endogamy!
- Endogamy or multiple relationships–or both? How to tell
- Setting an endogamy research goal: understanding what is likely achievable
- Contacting your DNA matches
- Targeted testing and targeted transferring
- Straightforward Strategies across Autosomal DNA Testing Websites. There are nuances in the ways the various testing companies adjust (or not) for endogamy. Be sure you’re understanding what you’re working with at each testing company!
- Family Tree DNA
- Organize, Visualize, and What to Do Next
- Downloading and organizing your DNA match lists
- Using Lucid Chart
- YDNA, mtDNA and XDNA: How they can help you with endogamy
- Next steps with Best Mystery Matches
Here’s what a recent participant in the Endogamy Course said about it:
The strategies in the Endogamy & DNA Course shifted my whole work procedure and outlook on what good matches are and which are worth focusing on first. That was major for me.
What do I get with this course? What is the format?
For the 3 weeks of interactive instructive, plan to spend about 2 hours per week on the Course. (Some people may work more quickly than others, and some may want to dive deeper. That part is up to you.) You’ll experience:
- 3 weeks of self-paced, online instruction and practice using tools at your DNA testing companies, without the need for complicated segment analysis or spreadsheets
- Weekly pre-recorded video tutorials, additional resources, homework, quizzes, polls, and a moderated discussion board
- A final live Q&A session that will be recorded and made available with your Course materials
- Full-length, professionally-designed workbook with classwork, homework, and research log (PDF format)
- Homework that provides hands-on experience with real-life case studies
- Enrollment in a class cohort that allows students to interact with one another at their preferred level
How can I best prepare for the Endogamy Course? Are there prerequisites?
By the time the course starts, you should have autosomal DNA test results in hand from 23andMe, Ancestry, MyHeritage, Family Tree DNA or Living DNA. (The cost and ordering of DNA testing itself is not included in the course.) These can be your own or someone else’s, as long as that person has endogamy on their family tree and you’ve got permission and login access.
During the 3 weeks of interactive instruction, you’ll need a reliable internet connection for streaming the video learning sessions and for additional learning on your own time. You’ll need access to your DNA test results on whatever testing site you’re using. There is no additional textbook to purchase: you’ll receive a unique Endogamy Workbook in PDF format and additional reference materials that support your learning.
While taking the DNA Skills Workshop is helpful and foundational for everyone working with autosomal DNA matches, it is not required for this Course. Come with a basic understanding of how autosomal DNA matching typically works, or patience and a desire to learn. (With your enrollment you will receive a coupon for 30% off a print copy of Your DNA Guide–the Book, which will help you get up to speed.)
I’m a reasonably advanced genetic genealogist with some experience working with endogamy. Is this Course too basic for me?
The Endogamy & DNA Course is a foundational course preparatory to the Advanced Endogamy DNA Skills Workshop (coming soon!). The organized approach presented in this course will provide insight into prioritizing DNA matches among the various testing companies.
Who is teaching?
This Course has been created by Your DNA Guide Diahan Southard, a globally-renowned genetic genealogy educator, to give you a progressive, confident and thorough learning experience. Throughout the Course, Diahan and her expert team will be checking your progress on the discussion boards.
Why enroll as soon as possible?
There’s great demand for learning DNA workarounds for endogamy. Endogamy can be a HUGE brick wall in your DNA analysis. Our unique multi-week, hands-on experience gives you straightforward strategies for FINALLY tackling endogamy more confidently and successfully–with DNA testing company tools that are ready at hand, and not too complicated. This Course has sold out every single session (once before we even started advertising it!) so it’s a good idea to enroll when there’s an open session.