GEDmatch can be a great place to collaborate with others who have been tested at other companies and gain access to more genetic tools to try to figure out how you are related to others.
GEDmatch is a FREE (yes, FREE!) service provided by very intelligent and motivated genetic genealogists. Anyone can upload genetic genealogy test results from 23andMe, FTDNA.com (the Family Finder test), and Ancestry.com.
How to get started on GEDmatch
(If you are a member of Law Enforcement and you are looking for help with your cold cases, please click HERE.)
1. Head over to www.GEDmatch.com and click on “New User.”
2. Fill out the required form.
3. Check your email for confirmation.
4. Add the code from your email to the GEDmatch site to complete registration.
5. In the File Uploads box, select your testing company: Ancestry, 23andMe or Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) Family Finder (see more on XDNA below). Note: If you have been tested at more than one company, there is no need to upload multiple sets of data. One is sufficient, and it doesn't matter which.
6. Enter the required information. This first image is for FTDNA. The second for Ancestry.com.
(Similar fields for Ancestry.com customers:)
7. If you tested with FTDNA, follow the same procedure to upload your XDNA data. First click on FTDNA X-DNA in the File Uploads menu. (Other testing companies, move on to Step 8.)
Then upload your X data, filling in the information as shown.
8. When your results are processed (can take up to a few weeks) they will appear on your homepage in the box titled “Your DNA Resources.”
If you are ready to upload to GEDmatch, click on their logo below to go to their website and get started:
If you want help uploading to GEDmatch or learning how to use the tools at GEDmatch we can help you out. Schedule a DNA Mentoring session with us!
If you are a member of Law Enforcement and would like information on using Genetic Genealogy to help solve cases, click below for more information: