Download Raw DNA from 23andMe
After getting your DNA test results from 23andMe, one of the things you should do is download your raw DNA data. This is both for safekeeping and because you may want to use that raw DNA on another genetic genealogy website.
Here’s how to download your raw DNA file from 23andMe:
1. Log in to your 23andMe account.
2. From the homepage, hover over the tools button on the top of the page:
3. Click on the ‘Browse Raw Data’:
4. Click on the ‘Download’ tab at the top of the page:
5. Scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says ‘Request your Raw Data Download’ and click on the ‘Submit Request’ button:
6. Head over to your email inbox and click on the email you just received from 23andMe:
7. Click on the ‘Download Raw Data’ link in your email:
8. You will be asked to enter your username and password:
9. Click on the “Download Raw Data” button:
10. This action will download a file to wherever your internet downloads are usually stored.
Next Steps after 23andMe Raw Data Download
Now that you have your 23andMe raw data, you can upload it to the websites shown below. Just click to find out how.
Keep Doing the DNA
Here at Your DNA Guide, we believe you can DO the DNA–and that it’s worth it. Learning more about your family history through DNA can be a meaningful and exciting journey. It can also be tricky, surprising and even heartbreaking at times, so you want to be well prepared–and have a trusted DNA expert alongside you.
That’s us. Sign up for our free email newsletter and you’ll get DNA tips and inspiration delivered right to you each month.
We will never share or sell your email address. We promise!