How to Download Your Raw DNA Results from AncestryDNA
One of the first things you should do after receiving your DNA test results from AncestryDNA is to download your raw DNA file. This is both for safekeeping and because you may want eventually want to transfer your DNA to another website to learn more from it. Here’s how to download your raw data from AncestryDNA.
1. Login to your Ancestry.com account.
2. In the top menu under DNA, click on ‘Your DNA Results Summary’.
3. Clicking on the gear on the right will take you to your settings.
4. On the right there is a box called ‘Actions’. Choose ‘Download Raw DNA Data’.
You will be asked to enter your Ancestry account password and click the box acknowledging that you are responsible for the data you download.
You will be directed to check your email for a confirmation of your request.
5. Head over to your email inbox and click on the email you just received from Ancestry.
This is what the content of that email looks like. Just click on ‘Confirm Data Download’.
6. Clicking will take you back to your Ancestry page where you click on ‘Download DNA Raw Data’.
This action will download a file to wherever your internet downloads are usually stored. The file looks like this:
Now that you have your AncestryDNA raw data, you can upload the file to other sites. Just click on the images below to find out how:
Don’t miss out on what your DNA is telling you, just because you haven’t learned to work with your test results!
- Our inexpensive AncestryDNA quick reference guide can help you get started in navigating and understanding your DNA test results.
- Better yet, get your copy of Your DNA Guide—the Book, with its step-by-step custom plans for your DNA questions, to learn how to use DNA to address specific questions about your origins (like identifying your DNA matches, finding birth relatives and building your family tree).